With the advancement in transportation modes, shipment of harmful materials from one locus to the other has gained enormous benefits. These benefits are tied up with specific rules and regulations whose adherence is a prime responsibility of all the involved stakeholders. Temperature control mechanisms, pressure handlers, the presence of absorbents, leakage sensors are a few areas which must be taken care of while shipping hazardous goods. These goods pertain to the following classification:
· Explosives- Fireworks, sparklers, ammunition
· Compressed gases- Paint sprays, liquefied gases, lighters, self-defense sprays, gases like CO2, liquid helium, liquid argon, liquid nitrogen, aerosol cans
· Flammables- Fuels, paints, perfumes, and gasoline based weed trimmers, generators and solvents.
· Corrosives- wet cell batteries, mercury, drain cleaners in solid and liquid form
· Chemicals- Krypton, hydrogen sulfide, methane, ammonia, chlorine, deuterium
· Miscellaneous- dry ice, lithium batteries
Let's take a look at the critical factors which are vital while shipping dangerous items:
· Categorization- Segregation of goods while packing is pivotal based on their physical & chemical properties. Toxic and hazardous products are vulnerable to pro active reaction based on weather and surrounding conditions. Ensure insulated packaging of goods based on their properties and check what items can be loaded in same packaging, cargo transport unit (CTU) or segregated packages.
· Follow protocols- Firstly, mark each category of goods with its index codes or standard code id. The index codes have specific rules and regulations for shipment of some items are restricted to the road, water or air transport means only. Moreover, it is necessary to comply with modal codes or domestic legislation while transferring dangerous goods.
· Label codes- Different stakeholders are involved in a shipment process; hence, it is vital for each intruder to understand the stringent rules concerning loaded materials. One can transfer this information by labeling materials as per defined codes like UN number, name, class, packing groups, temperature confinements, etc.
· Leak-proof packaging- Drip proof containers should be used in packaging of liquid or semi-liquid goods. One must ensure that the containers are rigid and leak proof. It is important to note that not all fluids are safe for transportation by air and pressure test is a good practice before loading containers for shipment.
· Container closing instructions- There are specific guidelines to close containers with specific torque. Violation or any carelessness of these instructions can cause leakage and infringe the integrity of whole shipment process.
Shipment with Care
Universum Heavylift Group is one of the most sought logistics company based in Dubai. They are in the shipment business for fifteen years and are well versed in the transfer of hazardous materials. Connect with them if you want to transfer goods which are dangerous with all legal procedures and following all underlying regulations.