The United States is the land of opportunities and it is a given that people from across the globe want to try their luck by going there and legally settling there. While there are multiple visas that serve the purpose, the EB-5 Green Card Program is a particularly interesting one.
Created by the United States Congress in 1990 as a part of an effort to attract foreign investment and give a boost to the economy, this visa not only allows the creation of jobs that in turn, enhance the U.S. economy but also allows qualified foreign investors become lawful permanent residents of the country. Open to all individuals, this visa has several applicants every year, especially those who want to retire in the country, set up their businesses or admit their children to schools and universities.
In case you’re thinking about applying for the investor visa to the U.S. from London, here are some quick and handy pointers:
- About 3000 green cards are reserved on an annual basis for eligible investors. They should be willing to invest either $500,000 ($1 million if they are outside a TEA or Targeted Employment Area). Also, the investment should result in creating at least 10 full-time jobs for qualifying U.S. citizens.
- The applicant of the visa needs to be an accredited investor who has the required net worth and capital. These are decided as per the USCIS regulations. The investor needs to demonstrate that the assets were all lawfully acquired via salary/compensation, property sale, gift, inheritance, legitimate business and similar legal means.
- The applicant needs to get the proper vaccinations and should have none of the identified communicable diseases. The applicant will be given a medical exam for this purpose.
- An applicant can still apply for an EB-5 Visa, even when they were previously rejected or terminated by the USCIS for other visas. The exception in this case is visa rejection owing to reasons such as immigration fraud or other legal issues.
- The entire process of EB-5 Visa can take anywhere from 12-18 months. This starts right soon after the documentation containing the source of funds has been submitted. It also largely depends on how complex the case is.
These are some of the basic points to consider if you are applying for the EB-5 visa from London. If the process is too complex for you to comprehend, you can always take the help of a leading immigration consultant near you as they will be able to guide you better. Here’s to getting to the land of dreams and limitless opportunities. Cheers!